Winter in David Thompson Country is magical. This tour takes you to two of our favourite spots: the ice bubbles of Abraham Lake and the narrow canyon of the Cline River.
First up is a snowshoe or winter hike (depending on snow conditions) through the lodgepole pine forest as we make our way to a viewpoint overlooking the Cline River Canyon. We'll then make our way down into the canyon, walking along a frozen creek, to enjoy lunch surrounded by icefalls. On most days you'll get to watch ice climbers work their way up the canyon walls.
The afternoon is spent on Abraham Lake, looking for ice bubbles, quirky ice formations and taking in the views from the frozen lake.
Lunch, hiking poles, snowshoe rentals (if needed), ice cleats, a professional guide and transportation from Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House, Nordegg or Cline River are all included.
- Experience the David Thompson Country in its most magical season.
- Snowshoe on an easy trail in a scenic area.
- See the famous ice bubbles on Abraham Lake.
- Enjoy the peace and quiet of the mountains, away from the crowds.
- Learn about the natural and human history of the area.
Perfect for: Anybody looking for a fun day playing outside. No prior snowshoe experience required.
This day trip is open to all ability levels, whether you are a beginner and or an expert. You must be comfortable walking 4+ km in a variety of conditions. This tour is recommended for those 13 or older.
- Activity: Snowshoeing
- Difficulty: Easy / Moderate
- Distance: 4-5 km
- Duration: 6+ hours
- Departure: Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House, Nordegg or Abraham Lake
You'll meet your guide at your pickup location - please arrive 10-15 minutes early - where we'll go over the plans for the day before heading out for the tour.
Our first adventure is the Cline River Canyon where we'll snowshoe or hike with ice cleats depending on the conditions. The easy to moderate trail includes a few short but steep hills along the way. The trail is 4 km return and we'll be hiking for 45 minutes to an hour each way. The canyon makes a great spot for lunch and pictures before heading off to our next adventure.
After the hike we'll be driving along Abraham Lake and stopping to look for ice bubbles. Depending on conditions we'll visit different areas where we'll put on ice cleats to walk on the frozen lake.
- 7:30 am - Red Deer Departure
- 8:30 am - Rocky Mountain House Departure
- 9:30 am - Nordegg Departure
- 10:15 am - Cline River Departure
- 10:30 am - Cline River Canyon
- 1:30 pm - Abraham Lake Ice Bubbles
- 3:30 pm - Cline River Return
- 4 pm - Nordegg Return
- 5 pm - Rocky Mountain House Return
- 6 pm - Red Deer Return
The itinerary may change without notice due to the weather and other factors. Our goal is to always provide the best possible experience.
We will take you to some of the best and safest spot for ice bubbles. Due to changing weather and ice conditions we can't guarantee that the ice will be clear and the bubbles visible.
Available daily from December to March (weather and ice conditions dependent).
December tours will follow a modified itinerary since Abraham Lake is not usually fully frozen until late in the month.
- 1 Guest: $320
- 2 Guests: $160 per person
- 3 Guests: $106.67 per person
- 4 Guests: $80 per person
- 5-12 Guests: $70 per person
Small Group Adventures
Looking to join a scheduled tour instead? Small Group Adventures are offered on Saturdays and select dates throughout the season. They’re a great option when you have 1 to 3 people looking to meetup with others for a fun adventure at $70 per person.
The schedule changes often, check out the Small Group Adventures calendar to see when this itinerary is featured.
Where to Meet
- Red Deer: Pursuit Adventures' Basecamp + Cafe: #10 5579 47 Street
- Rocky Mountain House: Visitor Information Centre
- Nordegg: Shell Gas Station
- Cline River: We'll forward you directions closer to the tour.
What to Bring
We recommend bringing an extra pair of shoes and a sweater to change into for the drive home.
- We provide snowshoes, ice cleats and hiking pole at no charge for this tour.
- A professional guide.
- Gourmet lunch and hot chocolate.
- Guides carry emergency equipment, including first aid kits and cell phone or satellite communicators on all tours.
What's Not Included
- Appropriate clothes and footwear for the weather conditions.
- Water bottles, camera and backpack.
What kind of lunch is included? Can special diets be accommodated?
Lunch for this adventure includes the choice of a veggie (hummus, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and green pepper on a Montreal style bagel), Angus beef sandwich (roast beef, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato and green pepper with BBQ sauce on a Montreal style bagel) or honey maple turkey sandwich (honey maple turkey, Boursin cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber with deli mustard on a Montreal style bagel), juice box, veggies and hummus, fruits and dessert. Please make sure to mention any dietary requirements when you book your adventure and we will try to accommodate whenever possible.
Transportation varies with the group size and can be in an SUV, mini-van, full size van or small bus depending on the day.
Terms and Conditions
All bookings are non-refundable but we will offer you a credit for a future adventure if you cancel a minimum of 72 hours prior to departure.
Waivers are required for all participants.You can review the waiver here.
Please review our complete terms & conditions prior to booking.
Come For A Visit
We're located in Capstone at Riverlands, near the trails of Waskasoo Park and Downtown Red Deer. Stop by to plan your next adventure, rent the gear you need and grab a bite with friends.
While you're in the neighbourhood make sure to check out some of our great neighbours like Wild Brewing Co, Purearth Organics, DOSE Coffee and Troubled Monk Brewery.
You'll find us at #10 5579 47 Street in Cronquist Business Park.
- Monday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Tuesday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Wednesday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Thursday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Friday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
We're open for check-in 10 minutes prior to departure for all tours.