Catch the magic of the sun setting on Abraham Lake. This tour is all about ice, from the famous bubbles to quirky ice features, you'll get to spend the afternoon exploring the area with your guide.
This tour has a flexible itinerary that we customize to your group, based on what you love to photograph. We make sure that you get to the best spots and all the details are taken care of so that you can get the shots you want. Since we focus on finding great locations, this tour can be tailored for camera phone photographers and professionals alike.
Lunch, ice cleats, a professional guide and transportation from Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House, Nordegg or Cline River are all included.
- Experience David Thompson Country in its most magical season.
- Photograph the famous ice bubbles on Abraham Lake.
- Get to the best spots for pictures along Abraham Lake.
- Enjoy the peace and quiet of the mountains, away from the crowds.
- Learn about the natural and human history of the area.
Perfect for: Anybody looking for a fun day playing outside. No prior snowshoe or hiking experience required. This tour can be customized for all level of photographers, from camera phones to professionals.
This day trip is open to all ability levels, whether you are a beginner and or an expert. You must be comfortable walking 2+ km in a variety of conditions. This tour is recommended for those 8 and older.
- Activity: Photography / Ice Walking
- Difficulty: Easy
- Hiking Distance: 1-2 km
- Elevation Gain: ~50m
- Duration: 7+ hours
- Departure: Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House, Nordegg or Abraham Lake
Available daily from December to late March. Early and late season tour follow a modified itinerary.
Abraham Lake Ice Bubbles
There's plenty of time to get the shot of the ice bubbles you've been looking for. Depending on the day, we might go to Preacher's Point, Cline Landing, Belly of Abraham or Hoodoo Creek to look for some neat ice formations.
You'll wear ice cleats as we make our way onto the frozen lake with your guide taking you to same of the best and safest spots in the area.
The scenery alone is worth the trip to Abraham Lake. We'll have plenty of opportunity to get the composition just right as we explore the area.
Stops along the way to Allstones Cove, Windy Point and the Kootenay Plains let us get a different perspective.
The last portion of the day is spent in the Abraham Slabs area, catching the sunset and alpenglow.
You'll never leave hungry from one of our tour. Lunch and snacks vary based on the day but you'll find some delicious food from local producers like Big Bend Market, Viva-Deli, Sylvan Star Cheese, Humble Hummus, Beck Farms as well as our own Montreal style bagels and baked goods.
After the ice walk, enjoy a cup of hot chocolate along with housemade marshmallows and graham crackers.
Curious about the food? Stop by our Basecamp + Cafe in Red Deer to find out more.
- 1 Adult: $580
- 2 Adults: $290
- 3 Adults: $193.33
- 4 Adults: $145
- 5-8 Adults: $125
- 9-12 Adults: $115
Rates are per person, for adults (13+). Kids 12 & under are free.
The Explorer Series
Looking to join a scheduled tour instead? The Explorer Series is a great option when you have 1 to 3 people looking to meetup with others for a fun adventure at $125 per person.
When and where does the tour start?
- Red Deer: Pursuit Adventures' Basecamp + Cafe. Get Directions >
- Rocky Mountain House: Visitor Information Centre. Get Directions >
- Nordegg: Shell Gas Station. Get Directions >
The start of the tours varies based on the time of the year.
|Start Time||Return Time|
|Date||Red Deer||Rocky Mountain House||Nordegg||Nordegg||Rocky Mountain House||Red Deer|
|December||8 am||9 am||10 am||6 pm||7 pm||8 pm|
|January||8:30 am||9:30 am||10: 30 am||6:30 pm||7:30 pm||8:30 pm|
|February||9:30 am||10:30 am||11:30 am||7:30 pm||8:30 pm||9:30 pm|
|March 1-9||10 am||11 am||12 pm||8 pm||9 pm||10 pm|
|March 10-31||11 am||12 pm||1 pm||9 pm||10 pm||11 pm|
The itinerary may change without notice due to the weather and other factors. Our goal is to always provide the best possible experience.
What do I need to bring?
Be prepared for the mountain weather. Conditions can change quickly and our winter tours run in anything from - 30C to +10C. Abraham Lake is a very windy place, bring an extra layer with you just in case.
- Winter boots
- Appropriate clothing for the weather including long underwear
- A winter jacket and snow pants
- An extra sweater
- Tuque and gloves
- A water bottle
- A small backpack
- Comfy shoes for the drive home
- Wide Angle Lens
- We provide hiking poles, ice cleats and snowshoes at no charge for this tour.
- A professional guide.
- Gourmet lunch and hot chocolate.
- Guides carry emergency equipment, including first aid kits and cell phone or satellite communicators on all tours.
What's Not Included
- Appropriate clothes and footwear for the weather conditions.
- Water bottles, camera and backpack.
What kind of lunch is included?
- Veggie sandwich (hummus, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and green pepper on a Montreal style bagel),
- Montreal Smoked Bison sandwich (Big Bend smoked bison, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato and green pepper with BBQ sauce on a Montreal style bagel) or
- Honey maple turkey sandwich (honey maple turkey, Boursin cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber with deli mustard on a Montreal style bagel).
Lunches also include a juice box, veggies and dip, fruits and dessert.
Hot chocolate is available with dairy or soy milk. Tea is available as well.
Please make sure to mention any dietary requirements when you book your adventure and we will try to accommodate whenever possible.
What kind of transportation is provided?
Is transportation available from Lake Louise?
Departure from Lake Louise is at 8 am, return between 4:30 and 5:30 pm.
- 1 Guest: $330
- 2 Guests: $165 per person
- 3 Guests: $110 per person
- 4 Guests: $80 per person
- 5 Guests: $70 per person
- 6 t 7 Guests: $60 per person
- 8 to 9 Guests: $50 per person
- 10 to 12 Guests: $40 per person
Rates are in addition to the regular tour rates.
Lake Louise departures require a minimum of 7 days advance notice.
What's the difference with the other ice bubble tours?
This tour is focused on photography with longer stops at multiple locations along Abraham Lake.
What's the group size?
This tour is recommended for those 8 or older.
What are the terms and conditions?
This tour requires bookings to be made at least 2 days prior to departure. Please contact us at (403) 986-6190 for a last minute booking.
All bookings are non-refundable but we will offer you a credit for a future adventure if you cancel a minimum of 72 hours prior to departure.
Waivers are required for all participants.You can review the waiver here.
A Few More Things To Know
Need help with your booking or have a few more questions? Stop by our Basecamp + Cafe or give us a call at 403 986-6190.
Come For A Visit
We're located in Capstone at Riverlands, near the trails of Waskasoo Park and Downtown Red Deer. Stop by to plan your next adventure, rent the gear you need and grab a bite with friends.
While you're in the neighbourhood make sure to check out some of our great neighbours like Wild Brewing Co, Purearth Organics, DOSE Coffee and Troubled Monk Brewery.
You'll find us at #10 5579 47 Street in Cronquist Business Park.
- Monday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Tuesday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Wednesday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Thursday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Friday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
We're open for check-in 10 minutes prior to departure for all tours.