Start your adventure with a relaxing float in a full size raft guided by the staff of the Kerry Wood Nature Centre. Take in the views of the river valley from a different perspective as you enjoy a light dinner on the water.
Next up we'll bring you back to the Troubled Monk for a brewery tour, going behind the scenes where those delicious beers, sodas and spirits are made. Wrapping up the evening we'll get to enjoy a tasting flight, a pint of your favourite beer or a craft soda in the taproom.
This tour includes a river float on a raft, shuttles from the Basecamp + Cafe to the river, pfd, guide, light dinner, brewery tour and a pint.
- Enjoy a leisurely float down the Red Deer River.
- Taste great local food and beverages.
- Good opportunities to see wildlife along the river.
- Learn about the natural and human history of the area.
Perfect for: Anybody looking for a fun evening playing outside.
- Activity: River float on a raft
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: 4 hours (1+ hours on water)
- Departure: Red Deer
Available on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from May to late October at 4:30pm.
After checking in at the Basecamp + Cafe we'll drive you to Fort Normandeau where you'll be meeting your guide from the Kerry Wood Nature Centre.
Next up is 1.5+ hour relaxing float down the river with your guide sharing the stories of the area while you enjoy a light dinner on the water.
Our next stop is Troubled Monk where we're going for a brewery tour and learning the story behind their delicious beverages.
Following the tour we'll enjoy some cold beverages in the taproom, with your choice of a tasting flight, a pint of your favourite beer or a craft soda.
- 1 Guest: $570
- 2 Guests: $285
- 3 Guests: $190
- 4 Guests: $142.50
- 5 Guests: $114
- 6 to 13 Guests: $95
- 14 to 16 Guests: $85
Rates are per person, for adults (18+).
Guides, raft, pfd, brewery tour, a flight of craft beer or soda and shuttles are all included. Transportation is included from our Basecamp + Cafe in Red Deer.
Please note that the shuttle may include other guests.
The Explorer Series
Looking to join a scheduled tour instead? The Explorer Series is a great option when you have 1 to 3 people looking to meetup with others for a fun adventure at $95 per person.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Where to Meet
What to Bring
- Footwear must be worn at all time
- Appropriate clothing for the weather
- A water bottle
- Camera - you're welcome to bring along on the raft but you are responsible for any lost or damaged items.
- Transport Canada approved PFD. You must be able and willing to wear a PFD at all times when on the raft. Guests who are not willing or able to wear a PFD will not be allowed on the raft.
- A professional guide.
- Gourmet lunch made from scratch at Basecamp + Cafe. Option of Veggie Sandwich (hummus, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and green pepper on a Montreal style bagel), Honey Maple Turkey Sandwich (honey maple turkey, Boursin cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber with deli mustard on a Montreal style bagel) or Market Salad with honey mustard dressing and Big Bend Market Ham. All options come with veggies and dip as well as a chocolate chip cookie.
- Brewery tour offered by Troubled Monk along with a taster flight of craft beer or soda.
- Guides carry emergency equipment, including first aid kits and cell phone or satellite communicators on all tours.
What's Not Included
- Appropriate clothes and footwear for the weather conditions.
- Water bottles, camera and drysacks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I get wet?
In most cases, no but here's a few times when you might experience a splash or two...
We use self-bailing rafts which allow water to drain out of the boats without having to use a bucket. Some water can splash through the holes as we float down the river and that's why we recommend you wear shoes you don't mind getting some water on.
The other reason you might get a little damp is rain. We run our tours rain or shine and every once in a while a quick rain storm can pass through and surprise us. We recommend that you bring a rain jacket with you but we have a few rain ponchos available on the raft in case you need one.
Do I have to paddle?
For the most part, no. Our guide does most of the work so that you get to sit back and relax. We will need a couple of volunteers to paddle as we get on the river and occasionally throughout the tour.
Can I bring my camera or phone?
You're welcome to bring your camera or phone along. The Red Deer River through the city is a very gentle river but keep in mind that we will be on water, floating down a river and there are obvious risk of your camera or phone being dropped overboard or getting wet. You're welcome to use one of the dry sacks on board to store your camera or phone but please understand that we cannot be held responsible for any damages to your equipment.
What's the group size?
The standard group size is 1 guide and 8 guests per raft for Explorer Series tours and up to 10 guests for private tours. This tour is recommended for those 18+. Contact us if you would like to arrange a tour with guests under 18.
What are the terms and conditions?
This tour requires bookings to be made at least 7 days prior to departure (not applicable for Explorer Series departures). Please contact us at (403) 986-6190 for a last minute booking.
All bookings are non-refundable but we will offer you a credit for a future adventure if you cancel a minimum of 72 hours prior to departure.
Waivers are required for all participants.You can review the waiver here.
This tour requires 7 days advance notice to book online. Looking for something sooner? Give us a call at 403 986-6190.
A Few More Things To Know
Need help with your booking or have a few more questions? Stop by our Basecamp + Cafe or give us a call at 403 986-6190.
Come For A Visit
We're located in Capstone at Riverlands, near the trails of Waskasoo Park and Downtown Red Deer. Stop by to plan your next adventure, rent the gear you need and grab a bite with friends.
While you're in the neighbourhood make sure to check out some of our great neighbours like Wild Brewing Co, Purearth Organics, DOSE Coffee and Troubled Monk Brewery.
You'll find us at #10 5579 47 Street in Cronquist Business Park.
- Monday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Tuesday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Wednesday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Thursday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Friday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
We're open for check-in 10 minutes prior to departure for all tours.