The Survey Hill hike is approximately 16 km with an elevation gain of about 110 m on a well established trail. The hike starts on the Kootenay Plains and takes us along the North Saskatchewan River toward Abraham Lake. Just before the lake, across from Preacher´s Point, we veer off toward Survey Hill where we´ll be having lunch. From the viewpoint we have great views of the lake, the Whiterabbit Creek Valley and the surrounding peaks. Heading back we follow the trail into the forest back to the trailhead.
The tour includes your guide who will be highlighting the natural and human history of the area, a gourmet lunch and hiking poles. We offer transportation from Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg or you can meet us at trailhead.
- Experience the classic views of David Thompson Country.
- Hike on an easy trail in a scenic area.
- See Abraham Lake and the North Saskatchewan River Valley from a new angle.
- Good potential to see elk, bighorn sheep and more.
- Learn about the natural and human history of the area.
Perfect for: Anybody looking for a fun day playing outside. No prior hiking experience required.
This day trip is open to all ability levels, whether you are a beginner and or an expert. You must be comfortable walking 16+ km in a variety of conditions. This tour is recommended for those 13 and older.
- Activity: Hiking
- Difficulty: Easy / Moderate
- Hiking Distance: 16 km
- Elevation Gain: ~110m
- Duration: 5+ hours
- Departure: Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House or Nordegg
Available daily from May to October.
The Siffleur River
The North Saskatchewan River
There's a few trail options in this area and depending on the group this hike can range between 13 and 18 km.
From there we're heading into the forest for a pleasant walk in the shade. This hike can be quite hot on a sunny day and the shelter of the forest is great in the afternoon.
Rates are per person, for adults (13+). Guides, snacks, lunch and hiking poles are all included.
- 1 Adult: $520
- 2 Adults: $260
- 3 Adults: $173.33
- 4 Adults: $130
- 5-8 Adults: $110
- 9-12 Adults: $100
Meet at the Trailhead Option
- 1 Adults: $520
- 2 Adults: $260
- 3 Adults: $173.33
- 4 Adults: $130
- 5 Adults: $110
- 6-8 Adults: $95
- 9-12 Adults: $85
The Explorer Series
Looking to join a scheduled tour instead? The Explorer Series is a great option when you have 1 to 3 people looking to meetup with others for a fun adventure.
There are no upcoming departures at this time.
When and where does the tour start?
- Red Deer: 7:30 am at Pursuit Adventures' Basecamp + Cafe. Get Directions >
- Rocky Mountain House: 8:30 am at the Visitor Information Centre. Get Directions >
- Nordegg: 9:30 am at the Shell Gas Station. Get Directions >
- Meet at the trailhead: 10:15 am at the Siffleur Falls Staging Area. Get Directions >
Return time varies based on the group and conditions but expect to be back by:
- Trailhead: 3:30 pm
- Nordegg: 4:30 pm
- Rocky Mountain House: 5:30 pm
- Red Deer: 6:30 pm
The itinerary may change without notice due to the weather and other factors. Our goal is to always provide the best possible experience.
What do I need to bring?
- Proper footwear (shoes or boots)
- Appropriate clothing for the weather
- A windbreaker, shell and/or rain jacket
- A warm sweater (conditions can chance quickly)
- A water bottle
- Tuque and gloves (spring and fall hikes)
- A small backpack
- Comfy shoes for the drive home
- We provide hiking poles (and ice cleats on early season hikes) at no charge for this tour. You are welcome to bring your own if you wish.
- A professional guide.
- Gourmet lunch and trail snacks.
- Guides carry emergency equipment, including first aid kits and cell phone or satellite communicators on all tours.
What's Not Included
- Appropriate clothes and footwear for the weather conditions.
- Water bottles, camera and backpack.
What kind of lunch is included?
Lunch for this adventure includes the choice of:
- Veggie sandwich (hummus, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and green pepper on a Montreal style bagel),
- Montreal Smoked Bison sandwich (Big Bend smoked bison, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato and green pepper with BBQ sauce on a Montreal style bagel) or
- Honey maple turkey sandwich (honey maple turkey, Boursin cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber with deli mustard on a Montreal style bagel).
Lunches also include a juice box, veggies and dip, fruits and dessert.
Please make sure to mention any dietary requirements when you book your adventure and we will try to accommodate whenever possible.
What kind of transportation is provided?
Is transportation available from Lake Louise?
Departure from Lake Louise is at 8 am, return between 4:30 and 5:30 pm.
- 1 Guest: $330
- 2 Guests: $165 per person
- 3 Guests: $110 per person
- 4 Guests: $80 per person
- 5 Guests: $70 per person
- 6 t 7 Guests: $60 per person
- 8 to 9 Guests: $50 per person
- 10 to 12 Guests: $40 per person
Rates are in addition to the Meet at the Trailhead fees.
Lake Louise departures require a minimum of 7 days advance notice.
What's the group size?
This tour is recommended for those 8 or older.
What are the terms and conditions?
This tour requires bookings to be made at least 2 days prior to departure. Please contact us at (403) 986-6190 for a last minute booking.
All bookings are non-refundable but we will offer you a credit for a future adventure if you cancel a minimum of 72 hours prior to departure.
Waivers are required for all participants.You can review the waiver here.
A Few More Things To Know
Need help with your booking or have a few more questions? Stop by our Basecamp + Cafe or give us a call at 403 986-6190.