We’re excited for the early start to winter adventures this year. A few things are different this year, obviously because of COVID but also because of our move to Nordegg.
On the COVID front, it means a few changes to our tours but it doesn’t change the sense of grandeur on an Abraham Lake ice walk or the magical feelings of snowshoeing in a winter wonderland. Some of the key changes are:
- We’re offering more self-drive options where you will meet your guide at the trailhead or convoy with your guide from the Nordegg Canteen to the trailhead.
- Bus transportation, for now, is being offered only to private groups (all tours except for the Explorer Series are private tours and some transfers from Rocky Mountain House or Lake Louise) unless otherwise mentioned. In all cases, masks must be worn when inside our vehicles, hands must be sanitized upon entry and you must use the same seat for the duration of the tour. All surfaces inside the bus are cleaned between each tour.
- While on the trail we will maintain a safe distance between each participant. Any equipment (e.g. snowshoes and ice cleats) are assigned to individual participants for the duration of the tour.
- We’ve made some changes to our lunches. Meals and hot chocolate will be served by the guide or will be provided in individual packaging. There will be no shared snacks or lunch spreads this season.
- All guests and guides must confirm prior to each tour that they are free of symptoms or risk factors, as defined by AHS.
Winter Tours Start November 21
We’ve been lucky to have some great early winter conditions after one of the best autumns we’ve seen in years. Starting this coming weekend we’ll be offering modified early season versions of our most popular winter tours. Available tours are:
- Icefalls Snowshoe Adventure (as a winter hike until we get more snow)
- Abraham Lake Ice Walk (at Preacher’s Point)
- Icefalls + Ice Bubbles Tour
Photo tours will be available starting the following week.