- This event has passed.
This adventure is part of the Women Only Hiking Series.
Our final hike of the series! Overlooking Nordegg, this classic hike to the site of the first fire lookout in the Alberta Rockies provides a vantage point like no others. Enjoy the full 360 degree panorama from the summit.
The Coliseum Mountain hike is approximately 13 km on a well established trail. The climb is steady on a well maintained trail with switchbacks. Our destination is the ridge overlooking Nordegg and conditions permitting, the unique round summit of Coliseum.
You're welcome to join the group even if you missed the earlier hikes! Our small group size allow us to be flexible while on tour and to slow down to enjoy the journey. We take care of all the logistics, transportation, equipment and lunch so that all you have to do is enjoy the breathtaking destinations Central Alberta has to offer. Transportation from Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House or Nordegg is included.
- Experience the classic views of David Thompson Country.
- See Nordegg from a different angle, the front range of the Rockies and the prairies.
- Learn about the natural and human history of the area.
Perfect for: Women looking for a fun day of hiking.
This tour is open to all ability levels. You must be comfortable walking 8+ km in a variety of conditions. This tour is open to women 18 and older.
- Activity: Hiking
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Hiking Distance: 13 km
- Elevation Gain: ~700m
- Duration: 6+ hours
- Departure: Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House or Nordegg
When and where does the tour start?
- Red Deer: 7:30 am at Pursuit Adventures' Basecamp + Cafe. Get Directions >
- Rocky Mountain House: 8:30 am at the Visitor Information Centre. Get Directions >
- Nordegg: 9:30 am at the Shell Gas Station. Get Directions >
Return time varies based on the group and conditions but expect to be back by:
- Nordegg: 4:30 pm
- Rocky Mountain House: 5:30 pm
- Red Deer: 6:30 pm
The itinerary may change without notice due to the weather and other factors. Our goal is to always provide the best possible experience.
What do I need to bring?
- Proper footwear (shoes or boots)
- Appropriate clothing for the weather
- A windbreaker, shell and/or rain jacket
- A warm sweater (conditions can chance quickly)
- A water bottle
- Tuque and gloves (spring and fall hikes)
- A small backpack
- Comfy shoes for the drive home
- We provide hiking poles (and ice cleats on early season hikes) at no charge for this tour. You are welcome to bring your own if you wish.
- A professional guide.
- Gourmet lunch and trail snacks.
- Guides carry emergency equipment, including first aid kits and cell phone or satellite communicators on all tours.
What's Not Included
- Appropriate clothes and footwear for the weather conditions.
- Water bottles, camera and backpack.
What kind of lunch is included?
Lunch for this adventure includes the choice of:
- Veggie sandwich (hummus, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and green pepper on a Montreal style bagel),
- Montreal Smoked Bison sandwich (Big Bend smoked bison, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato and green pepper with BBQ sauce on a Montreal style bagel) or
- Honey maple turkey sandwich (honey maple turkey, Boursin cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber with deli mustard on a Montreal style bagel).
Lunches also include a juice box, veggies and dip, fruits and dessert.
Please make sure to mention any dietary requirements when you book your adventure and we will try to accommodate whenever possible.
What kind of transportation is provided?
What's the group size?
This tour is recommended for those 8 or older.
What are the terms and conditions?
This tour requires bookings to be made at least 2 days prior to departure. Please contact us at (403) 986-6190 for a last minute booking.
All bookings are non-refundable but we will offer you a credit for a future adventure if you cancel a minimum of 72 hours prior to departure.
Waivers are required for all participants.You can review the waiver here.
Sign up for this hike only for $110. Each of the tours includes transportation from Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House or Nordegg along with lunch, hiking poles and guide.
A Few More Things To Know
We get to play outside on our tours and that means you’ll want to come prepared for the weather. Make sure to dress in layers and come prepared for the unpredictable weather we often get in Alberta. We rarely cancel tours due to weather, as long as we can have a safe adventure. You’ll be amazed at how much fun we can have even when the weather isn't the greatest!
Need help with your booking or have a few more questions? Stop by our Basecamp + Cafe or give us a call at 403 986-6190.
- Monday: Closed
- Tuesday: Closed
- Wednesday: 11:30 am to 5 pm
- Thursday: 11:30 am to 5 pm
- Friday: 11:30 am to 8 pm
- Saturday: 11:30 am to 8 pm
- Sunday: 11:30 am to 5 pm