- This event has passed.
The adventure starts with a short walk to the frozen Crescent Falls where you can take in the views from the lookout or if you're feeling more adventurous follow your guide down to the plateau between the falls. You'll then get to spend the afternoon on an Abraham Lake ice walk taking in the sights of the ice bubbles, quirky ice features and surrounding peaks.
Lunch, hiking poles, ice cleats, a professional guide and transportation from Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House or Nordegg are all included.
- Experience David Thompson Country in its most magical season.
- See the famous ice bubbles on Abraham Lake.
- Discover one of the most popular waterfall in the area.
- Enjoy the peace and quiet of the mountains, away from the crowds.
- Learn about the natural and human history of the area.
Perfect for: Anybody looking for a fun day playing outside. No prior snowshoe or hiking experience required.
- Activity: Sightseeing / Ice Walking
- Difficulty: Easy
- Hiking Distance: 1-2 km
- Elevation Gain: ~55m
- Duration: 6+ hours
- Departure: Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House or Nordegg
Available daily from December to late March. Early and late season tour follow a modified itinerary.
The adventure starts with the drive from the David Thompson Highway on a winding gravel road to the Crescent Falls upper staging area. The road is closed from there for the winter, leaving us to put on ice cleats to make it down the sometimes icy road to the viewpoint at the top of the falls.
At the falls you'll have the option of taking in the views from the lookout above, or for those interested we'll make our way down a steeper hill to the plateau between the two falls.
While we think the views are worth the effort, we know that this part is not for everybody. Your guide will help you down and if you're uncomfortable you'll still get to enjoy some amazing sights from above.
Preacher's Point Ice Walk
The bubbles here tend to be a little smaller, with the thinner ice resting on the rocky bottom of the North Saskatchewan River providing all kind of quirky ice features.
You'll wear ice cleats as we make our way onto the frozen lake with your guide taking you to same of the best and safest spots in the area.
Abraham Lake Ice Walk
The bubbles in this location are usually visible from late December to mid-March with the best time to visit being January. Even when they are not visible, the area makes for a great stop with amazing views and quirky ice features.
After the ice walk, enjoy a cup of hot chocolate along with housemade marshmallows and graham crackers.
Curious about the food? Stop by our Basecamp + Cafe in Red Deer to find out more.
- $110 per person - transportation included
Guides, snacks, snowshoes, ice cleats and activities are all included. Transportation is included from Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House or Nordegg.
Private and Custom Tours
Prefer to head out with just your friends on the tour? All our adventures are available as private tours and can be customized just for your group.
This itinerary is available on your schedule starting at $100 per person.
When and where does the tour start?
- Red Deer: 7:30 am at Pursuit Adventures' Basecamp + Cafe. Get Directions >
- Rocky Mountain House: 8:30 am at the Visitor Information Centre. Get Directions >
- Nordegg: 9:30 am at the Shell Gas Station. Get Directions >
Return time varies based on the group and conditions but expect to be back by:
- Nordegg: 4:00 pm
- Rocky Mountain House: 5:00 pm
- Red Deer: 6:00 pm
The itinerary may change without notice due to the weather and other factors. Our goal is to always provide the best possible experience.
What do I need to bring?
- Winter boots
- Appropriate clothing for the weather including long underwear
- A winter jacket and snow pants
- An extra sweater
- Tuque and gloves
- A water bottle
- A small backpack
- Comfy shoes for the drive home
- We provide hiking poles, ice cleats and snowshoes at no charge for this tour.
- A professional guide.
- Gourmet lunch and hot chocolate.
- Guides carry emergency equipment, including first aid kits and cell phone or satellite communicators on all tours.
What's Not Included
- Appropriate clothes and footwear for the weather conditions.
- Water bottles, camera and backpack.
What kind of lunch is included?
- Veggie sandwich (hummus, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and green pepper on a Montreal style bagel),
- Montreal Smoked Bison sandwich (Big Bend smoked bison, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato and green pepper with BBQ sauce on a Montreal style bagel) or
- Honey maple turkey sandwich (honey maple turkey, Boursin cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber with deli mustard on a Montreal style bagel).
Lunches also include a juice box, veggies and dip, fruits and dessert.
Hot chocolate is available with dairy or soy milk. Tea is available as well.
Please make sure to mention any dietary requirements when you book your adventure and we will try to accommodate whenever possible.
What kind of transportation is provided?
Is transportation available from Lake Louise?
What's the difference with the other ice bubble tours?
The Icefalls + Ice Bubbles tour includes similar afternoon stops on Abraham Lake combined with a 2 hour snowshoe tour to the Cline River Canyon.
The half day Ice Bubbles tour includes similar stops to the afternoon portion of this tour.
The Siffleur Falls Winter Hike is a great option for those looking for a more active adventure while still getting a chance to see the bubbles.
What's the group size?
This tour is recommended for those 8 or older.
What are the terms and conditions?
This tour requires bookings to be made at least 2 days prior to departure. Please contact us at (403) 986-6190 for a last minute booking.
All bookings are non-refundable but we will offer you a credit for a future adventure if you cancel a minimum of 72 hours prior to departure.
Waivers are required for all participants.You can review the waiver here.
A Few More Things To Know
Need help with your booking or have a few more questions? Stop by our Basecamp + Cafe or give us a call at 403 986-6190.
Come For A Visit
We're located in Capstone at Riverlands, near the trails of Waskasoo Park and Downtown Red Deer. Stop by to plan your next adventure, rent the gear you need and grab a bite with friends.
While you're in the neighbourhood make sure to check out some of our great neighbours like Wild Brewing Co, Purearth Organics, DOSE Coffee and Troubled Monk Brewery.
You'll find us at #10 5579 47 Street in Cronquist Business Park.
- Monday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Tuesday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Wednesday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Thursday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Friday: 8 am to 4 pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
We're open for check-in 10 minutes prior to departure for all tours.