- This event has passed.
The hikes starts along the Cline River and its canyon before we reach the Coral Creek Canyon. Our destination is a great lunch spot where the wide valley enters the narrow canyon.
The Coral Creek hike is approximately 7.7km on moderate terrain. Along the way there will be flowers and stunning views of canyons, mountains and Abraham Lake.
The tour includes your guide, a gourmet lunch and hiking poles. We offer transportation from Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg or you can meet us at trailhead.
- Experience the classic views of David Thompson Country.
- Hike on an easy trail in a scenic area.
- See the narrow canyons of the Cline River and Coral Creek.
- Good potential to see elk, bighorn sheep and more.
- Learn about the natural and human history of the area.
Perfect for: Anybody looking for a fun day playing outside. No prior hiking experience required.
This day trip is open to all ability levels, whether you are a beginner and or an expert. You must be comfortable walking 8+ km in a variety of conditions. This tour is recommended for those 13 or older.
|Departure Date||October 27, 2018|
|Departure Time||Red Deer: 7:30 am
Rocky Mountain House: 8:30 am
Nordegg: 9:30 am
|Return Time||Nordegg: 4:30 pm
Rocky Mountain House: 5:30 pm
Red Deer: 6:30 pm
|Pickup Location||Pursuit Adventures' Basecamp + Cafe
Rocky Mountain House Visitor Information Centre
Miners' Cafe in Nordegg
|Meet at the Trailhead||This option is available if you'll be driving yourself to the trailhead. You'll be meeting your guide at 10:15 am at the Coral Creek Staging Area.|
|Activity Level||Active - 8 km hike|
|Lunch||Gourmet bagged lunch|
|Availability||Looking for a different date or a tour just for your group? Check out these options >|
|The itinerary may change without notice due to the weather and other factors. Our goal is to always provide the best possible experience.|
The Cline River
The first section of trail takes us along an area where the impacts of the 2013 floods can still be seen. The Cline River is flowing fast as we make our way upstream toward the canyon.
The Cline River Canyon
The narrow canyon makes for some great sights as we make our way toward Coral Creek.
For those who have been on the Icefalls + Ice Bubble tours, this section of the trail is on the opposite side of the canyon.
The Coral Creek Canyon
At the meeting of the Cline River and the Coral Creek canyons we follow the creek. After a short distance the trail heads up on the hill above the canyon and reconnects with the horse trail.
The Lunch Spot
Our destination, weather permitting, is the entrance of the canyon where we get to enjoy the views of the canyon below and the wide valley above.
The return trail takes us into the forest for a pleasant walk back to the trailhead.
Where to Meet?
- Red Deer: Pursuit Adventures' Basecamp + Cafe: #10 5579 47 Street
- Rocky Mountain House: Visitor Information Centre
- Nordegg: Miners' Cafe
- Cline River: David Thompson Resort
- Trailhead: Coral Creek Staging Area
What to Bring?
- Proper footwear (shoes or boots)
- Appropriate clothing for the weather
- A windbreaker, shell and/or rain jacket
- A warm sweater (conditions can chance quickly)
- A water bottle
- Tuque and gloves (spring and fall hikes)
- A small backpack
- Comfy shoes for the drive home
- We provide hiking poles (and ice cleats on early season hikes) at no charge for this tour. You are welcome to bring your own if you wish.
- A professional guide.
- Gourmet lunch and trail snacks.
- Guides carry emergency equipment, including first aid kits and cell phone or satellite communicators on all tours.
What's Not Included
- Appropriate clothes and footwear for the weather conditions.
- Water bottles, camera and backpack.
What kind of lunch is included? Can special diets be accommodated?
Lunch for this adventure includes the choice of a veggie (hummus, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and green pepper on a Montreal style bagel), Angus beef sandwich (roast beef, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato and green pepper with BBQ sauce on a Montreal style bagel) or honey maple turkey sandwich (honey maple turkey, Boursin cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber with deli mustard on a Montreal style bagel), juice box, veggies and hummus, fruits and dessert. Please make sure to mention any dietary requirements when you book your adventure and we will try to accommodate whenever possible.
Terms and Conditions
All bookings are non-refundable but we will offer you a credit for a future adventure if you cancel a minimum of 72 hours prior to departure. Cancellations within 72 hours, including no-shows, will forfeit the tour fees. Tours in The Explorer Series usually require a minimum of 4 guests to run. In the event of low bookings we will contact you the day before the tour to cancel. You'll have the option of a full refund or a credit for a future booking.
Waivers are required for all participants.You can review the waiver here. Additional waivers may be required to be signed on the day of the tour prior to taking part in activities offered by other providers. Please review our complete terms & conditions prior to booking.