Forest Fires & Ice Bubbles Snowshoe Tour
The ice bubbles are now done for the season. Don´t miss out next winter, this tour will be available starting in early January 2018.
Explore the dramatic landscape of the West Country, from forest fires to the methane ice bubbles of Abraham Lake.
Start the day with a scenic drive through the front range of the Rockies, along Abraham Lake on the David Thompson Highway as we make our way to Thompson Creek on the edge of Banff National Park. Snowshoe along the creek, heading into an area that was part of the Landslide Lake Prescribed Burn in 2009, catching some great views and seeing how forest fires help renew the area. After a gourmet lunch, head back to the trailhead for a short drive to Abraham Lake where your guide will take you on the ice in search of frozen methane ice bubbles.
Lunch, hiking poles, snowshoe rentals, ice cleats, a professional guide and transportation from Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House or Nordegg are all included.
- Experience the West Country in its most magical season.
- Snowshoe on an easy trail in a scenic area.
- See the famous ice bubbles on Abraham Lake.
- Enjoy the peace and quiet of the mountains, away from the crowds.
- Good potential to see elk, bighorn sheep and more.
- Learn about the natural and human history of the area.
Is It For Me?
This day trip is open to all snowshoe ability levels, whether you are a beginner and or an expert. You must be comfortable walking 4+ km in a variety of conditions. This tour is recommended for those 13 or older.
- Activity: Snowshoeing
- Difficulty: Easy - Moderate
- Distance: 4-6 km (varies with group´s abilities)
- Duration: 6+ hours
- Departure: Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House, Nordegg
- Destination: David Thompson Corridor
Small Group Tours
- When: Saturdays
- $95 per person
- Available daily
- $115 per adult (minimum $460 per tour)
- $85 per youth